Call us: 225.926.8414

Requesting a Document from a Public Body

Anyone 18 or older has the right to examine, copy or obtain a copy of a public record (unless specifically exempted) of any public body including any state, parish or municipal agency or board (including the Legislature). This includes entities like charter school boards, neighborhood associations established in law and many other organizations.

You can find a list of the Public Records custodians of Louisiana state agencies here.

For organizations not listed here, you can find out where to send a public records request by calling the organization and asking where to send a public records request.

Public records requests may be submitted by mail, in person, by facsimile transmission, electronic mail, or an online public records request submission form if available.

Generally anything “having been used, being in use or prepared” for use in the conduct of public business is a public record, regardless of physical form. Public records include such things as drafts of documents, statistics, maps, letters, memos, e-mails, budget requests, budgets, tapes, electronic data, payrolls, certain retirement information, and tax assessment rolls.

To help citizens create a public records request we have provided a Microsoft Word template document. It can be found here.

It is important to note that if a document is needed from a federal government agency (like FEMA, HUD, etc), these agencies follow the Freedom of Information Act. You can find more information here about FOIA.